ISO 17020 - Inspection Bodies
ISO 17020, entitled "General Criteria for the Operation of Various Types of Bodies Performing Inspection", is an internationally recognized standard for the competence of inspection bodies. ISO 17020 should not be confused with ISO 9001, which is specific to quality management systems. ISO 9001 does not require evaluation of the technical competence of an inspection body and it should not be regarded as an ‘acceptable’ alternative to ISO 17020.
This International Standard specifies general criteria for the competence of impartial bodies performing inspection irrespective of the sector involved. It also specifies independence criteria. This standard is intended for the use of inspection bodies and their accreditation bodies as well as other bodies concerned with recognizing the competence of inspection bodies
ISO 17020 – It's Key Benefits
- Uniformity in execution and reporting method for the people carrying out the activity. Reduced penalty in case of disputes .
- AMeeting the accreditation requirements
- Reduced customer complaints .
- Proof of conforms to specified requirements
- Improved efficiency, productivity and effectiveness in the overall Inspection bodies operation,
- Improved level of motivation, co–operation, workmanship and quality awareness including competence
- Provide tips on analysis of data as well as perfect record keeping
- Provide guidelines and better control for maintenance of equipment, preservation of inspection records etc
- An ISO 17020:2012 accredited inspection body has a definite edge over competitors